Red lens sunglasses contain specialized lenses with a reddish or pinkish tint. The primary purpose of lenses with this tint is to help the eyes adjust to contrast in the visual spectrum.
For people who are in environments in which much of the visual spectrum contains a single dominant shade, such as in the snow or while out at sea, lenses with a reddish tint can help the eyes to distinguish contrast and define objects in the visual field.
Red lens sunglasses are particularly beneficial when in sunny environments where a single dominant color is present, such as skiing or snowboarding in a sunny place like Colorado or while fishing in Hawaii.
Benefits of Red Lens Sunglasses
Some of the numerous benefits of red lens sunglasses include the following:
- Blocking blue light: Blue light is part of the natural electromagnetic spectrum of energy, but constant exposure to this light can potentially cause damage to the retinal cells and lead to problems with vision, such as macular degeneration. Blue light may also increase the risk of cataracts and eye cancer, as well as tumorous growth on the sclera (the white part of the eye).
Red lens sunglasses can block part or all of this light in the environment.
- Reduced eye strain: Blue light can increase strain on the eyes. Red lens sunglasses help to block this light and reduce strain on the eyes, allowing you to see in environments with varying degrees of contrast or levels of blue light without discomfort.
- Vision improvement: Red lens sunglasses can improve visual acuity and the ability to focus in fine detail as well as your visual depth of field.
- Increased color sensitivity: Red lens sunglasses can enhance color sensitivity in some environments, such as in bright sunlight and cloudy or gray conditions. This makes these lenses popular with pilots.
- General sun protection: Most red lens sunglasses provide the same UV-blocking benefits as regular sunglasses. UV radiation can also cause macular degeneration and increase the risk of eye cancers.
Red lens sunglasses that meet the American National Standards Institute requirements can reduce your risk of these health issues.
- Protection from impact: Red lens sunglasses that meet FDA standards for impact resistance can also protect the eyes from debris and objects that may otherwise come into contact with the eyes when performing activities in which the eyes may be at risk, such as in heavy wind.
Best Red Lens Sunglasses
Many options are available if you are considering purchasing red lens sunglasses. The best option for you will depend on your needs, preferences, and budget. Here are three top options:
Ray-Ban Justin Color Mix
These stylish frames offer a combination of fashion and functionality from one of the most trusted names in the eyewear industry. This option is ideal for eliminating glare and increasing visual acuity for individuals who enjoy sports like cycling.
While one of the highest quality options, they are also among the pricier as well. They are currently available on Amazon.
Also, a stylish option from a highly respected eyewear manufacturer, these lenses are comfortable and can help to reduce eye strain. They are ideal for enhancing color contrast to improve visual acuity and detail in the environment, making them perfect for outdoor activities and driving in daylight.
They are also among the priciest options on Amazon.
Sungait Ultra Lightweight Polarized Sunglasses
A newer entry into the eyewear industry, Sungait is a promising up-and-coming manufacturer that is quickly earning respect from sunglasses enthusiasts. These ultra-light polarized lenses offer a high level of comfort for individuals who are exposed to blue light or UV radiation for extended periods of time, such as pilots.
They are among the more affordable options on Amazon.
Red Lens Sunglasses FAQs
What are red lens sunglasses for?
Red lens sunglasses are used to help the eyes adjust to contrast and to protect from blue light, UV radiation, and impact.
Do red lenses hurt your eyes?
Red lenses have not been linked with any harm to the eyes.
Can you drive with red lens sunglasses?
Yes, red lens sunglasses can improve your visual acuity and prevent glare while driving in daylight.
Do red lenses block blue light?
Lenses with a red or orange tint block a wider spectrum of blue light, helping to protect the eyes.
Guidance Document for Nonprescription Sunglasses. (October 1998). U. S. Department of Health and Human Services.
How Blue Light Affects Your Eyes, Sleep, and Health. (August 2022). UC Davis Health.
Oakley Men’s Oo4123 Holbrook Metal Square Sunglasses. (2023). Amazon.
Ray-Ban RB4165 Justin Rectangular Sunglasses. (2023). Amazon.
Blue-Light–Blocking Lenses in Eyeglasses: A Question of Timing. (March 2022). Optometry and Vision Science.
Last Updated February 2, 2023
Note: This page should not serve as a substitute for professional medical advice from a doctor or specialist. Please review our about page for more information.