There is no shortage of options when it comes to sunglasses for women in 2022. The best options will flatter your face shape, complement your coloring, and offer robust sun protection.
Below, we’ve highlighted some of the best sunglasses for women that are available in 2022.
Best Overall Sunglasses for Women
Here are some of the top sunglasses for women in 2022:
- Ray Ban Classic Aviator Sunglasses: Popular since the 1930s, these glasses minimize glare and maximize style. They come in different sizes to suit smaller faces. Prices start at $163.
- Warby Parker Durand Sunglasses: Warby Parker offers a stunning variety of styles, with a virtual try-on feature. The popular Durand sunglasses start at $95.
- Oakley Half Jacket 2.0 Matte Black Sunglasses: These lightweight glasses stay in place while you run and sweat. You can customize them with prescription lenses. Their polarized lenses adjust to different levels of light, and they start at $201.
- Goodr The OG Running Glasses: A cheaper option for sport sunglasses, these glasses won’t slip as you run, bike, or play golf. The polarized lenses offer UV protection, and they cost $25.
- SOJOS Classic Round Sunglasses: These sunglasses for women are almost round but with an upswept corner. They only cost $15, so you don’t have to spend a fortune to get stylish options.
- Ray-Ban Jackie Ohh: These timeless sunglasses offer 100% UV protection along with a bold fashion statement. They cost $213.
- Chanel Oval Sunglasses: These designer sunglasses are hand-crafted and feature 100% UV protection. They cost $505.
- Persol Sunglasses for Women: Persol offers classic styles. These sunglasses for women are handmade in Italy. They cost $307.
- Maui Jim Lake Polarized Plus 2 Lenses: These sunglasses feature transparent, silvery frames and soothing violet-blue polarized lenses, making a trendy look that is a perfect blend of sports and style. They cost $524.
What to Consider When Buying Sunglasses for Women
There are no set rules when it comes to buying sunglasses.
Women’s sunglasses come in a wide range of styles and colors, and sunglasses are a good opportunity to have a little fun with trendier or edgier options. At the same time, you may want to go with a timeless, classic style that will last you for decades.
While you ultimately can just decide to have fun with your purchase, here are some tips on what to consider when purchasing sunglasses for women:
Your face shape will influence the sunglasses that tend to look best on you. For example, square or rectangular frames tend to look good on round faces.
Similarly, square faces often look best with rounded or oval sunglasses that offset the strong angles of a square face. Aviator or cat-eye sunglasses often work well with a more angular face.
Heart-shaped faces can be flattered with round sunglasses or frames that are broader at the top. Oval faces can look great in cat-eye styles and oversized shapes.
If you wear prescription eyewear, prescription sunglasses are a convenient solution, so your vision can still be great when you wear sun protection. Clip-on sunglasses are always an option, but many women prefer the look of standard sunglasses with prescription lenses in them.
Every frame material offers distinct advantages, ranging from durability to fashion sense.
Most frames are made from metal, plastic, or combinations of the two. Metal frames can be lightweight and durable, while plastic options are often available in a wide array of color options.
If you’ll be wearing your sunglasses for sports or other vigorous activities, it’s a good idea to purchase sports sunglasses that can stand up to more wear and tear.
Are Polarized Sunglasses Right for You?
Polarized lenses are treated with a unique chemical to reduce glare. The special film helps to reduce harmful UV light rays and makes it possible to see more clearly.
Contrary to popular opinion, polarized lenses are not just for sports enthusiasts. This special coating can help you see more clearly while doing your favorite outdoor activities. Whether reading a summer novel at the beach or relaxing in a hammock, polarized lenses can help you to see more clearly anywhere glare could be an issue.
If you spend a lot of time in the sun, on the water, or out in the snow, polarized glasses are a good choice for you.
Polarized sunglasses are not ideal for every situation, however. The American Academy of Ophthalmology advises using non-polarized glasses for nighttime driving. At night, glare may help you avoid accidents.
Best Sunglasses for Women FAQs
What sunglasses look good on women?
There isn’t a specific type of sunglasses that look best on women in general. The specific style that looks best on you will depend on your face shape, coloring, and personal style.
Which sunglasses give the best protection?
Look for sunglasses that offer 100% UV protection, also marketed as UV400. Sun protection is also marked as UVA/UVB.
Which is the best brand for sunglasses?
Do good sunglasses always cost a lot?
No, there are plenty of high-quality sunglasses that are available at affordable prices. You can find plenty of affordable sunglasses on Amazon and other retailers.
Are Polarized Sunglasses Worth the Extra Money? (July 2019). Cleveland Clinic.
Tips for Choosing the Best Sunglasses (June 2021). American Academy of Ophthalmology.
The Sun, UV Light and Your Eyes. (June 2020). American Academy of Ophthalmology.
Sports and Your Eyes. National Eye Institute.
Night Driving Glasses May Hurt, Not Help. (January 2018). American Academy of Ophthalmology.
Last Updated October 12, 2022
Note: This page should not serve as a substitute for professional medical advice from a doctor or specialist. Please review our about page for more information.