Systane Eye Drops are a popular brand of prescription drops that treat various eye conditions. The product is more available now than ever, and you can get them in retail and online stores. The drops treat even the smallest eye irritations.
What Are Systane Eye Drops?
Systane Lubricant Eye Drops are a brand of medication used as a temporary relief for various eye complications, including itching, burning, irritation and feeling as if something is stuck in your eye. The drops contain elements like propylene glycol and polyethylene glycol.
How to Use Systane Eye Drops
When you use eye drops, you should follow guidelines provided by your healthcare provider and on the product label for the best results. Avoid using more or less than the amount instructed, and avoid applying drops for longer than advised.
In addition, you should not use eye drops when wearing contact lenses.
To apply Systane Eye Drops:
- Inspect the eye drops to check for the expiration dates. If drops are milky or a different color, consult your doctor or call the manufacturer’s consumer line before using.
- Tilting your head back, gently pull the lower eyelid to create some space. Look away and squeeze the prescribed number of drops per eye.
- Close your eyes for three minutes without squinting or blinking. Gently press the inside corner of the eye with your finger to avoid the drops draining into the tear ducts.
- If you have more than one eye drop prescription, wait at least five minutes (preferably longer) before using the next set eye drop.
Benefits of Eye Drops
Some of the clear-cut benefits of using Systane Eye Drops include:
- They offer quick relief against irritation and dryness
- They improve comfort by reducing the urge to scratch and itch your eye
- They prevent further eye damage by lubricating the eye
- They speed up the recovery process
Are Eye Drops Safe?
Prescription eye drops are safe if you follow the doctor’s instructions on use and if you use the eye drop product as recommended by the manufacturer. There may be complications associated with eye drops. While complications are rare, you should consult your doctor if you notice them.
Some of the complications to watch for include:
- You experience a change in vision after applying the eye drops.
- You feel like scratching or itching after application.
- You experience pain after using the drops.
Difference Between Systane and Other Eye Drops
Most eye drops are safe to use and are made up of largely the same elements, headed by purified water. But most healthcare providers recommend Systane because it is effective and can be used in the long term.
Ask your doctor how long you should use the drops and where to get them should the need arise.
Where Can You Buy Systane Eye Drops?
Systane eye drops are now a common eye care product. You can get a prescription from your doctor after your doctor confirms that you need them. You can also purchase them on most online platforms.
If you order drops online, check the manufacturer’s name to confirm that the drops are not a knockoff brand. Also check when the drops expire.
You can also buy Systane drops from your local drug store. The attendant will give you more information and details on how to use it. Even when ordering from alternative sources, you should still consult a healthcare professional on the best way to use the drops.
Vision Health Initiative: Common Eye Disorders and Diseases. (June 3, 2020). Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Eye Drop Techniques. (April 18, 2019). Glaucoma Research Foundation.
One Month Use of Systane Improves Ocular Surface Parameters in Subjects with Moderate Symptoms of Ocular Dryness. (September 2, 2008). National Center for Biotechnology Information.
Ophthalmic Drug Delivery through Contact Lenses. (July 2004). Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science.
Last Updated July 6, 2022
Note: This page should not serve as a substitute for professional medical advice from a doctor or specialist. Please review our about page for more information.